Friday, September 11, 2009

Just Two More Miles... Right?

By this time tomorrow morning, if all goes well, I'll be recovering from and hopefully celebrating the completion of my first 20-mile run.

I'm not exactly sure why but this particular upcoming milestone has me a bit on edge, a bit nervous.

I think it's because, according to a lot of training plans, the 20-miler is the longest run before the big 26.2. That means, technically, after tomorrow I should be ready for the big day.

Am I? Honestly, I'm not sure yet.

Physically, I'm pretty sure I could push myself to the end, despite the fact that I've started to notice the slightest pain in my left knee during some of my recent runs. Nothing to be alarmed about, at least not yet, but just a little twinge of something not-quite-right.

Mentally and emotionally, I find myself momentarily and sporadically wavering -- perhaps only because that finish line is so close now, almost within reach, that it's beginning to become a reality. And with that reality comes the little, familiar voice of self-doubt, that part of me that questions whether or not I'll actually be able to pull this off.

Luckily, the 18-miler two weeks ago gave me a real confidence boost. Despite the less-than-ideal weather, I felt pretty strong, even felt like I could have kept going.


Hopefully I feel the same way tomorrow. Because I
will have to keep going, just two more miles -- at least for now.

TO POST A COMMENT, CLICK ON THE "# comments" LINK BELOW



No comments:

Post a Comment

You can post a comment here by selecting any of the options below. If you do not have a gmail account, choose "Other User" or "Anonymous." All fields are optional.