Thursday, November 15, 2007

On The Mend

I've followed the doctor's orders precisely (yes, really) and took a full week off from running. I didn't realize how much I would miss it.

Every time I passed a runner on the street or saw my running shoes sitting next to my bed, I'd get the urge to go out for a jaunt. But I resisted, even though my leg was feeling much better. I continued the regimen of anti-inflammatories, rest, plenty of stretching and ice.

Last night, a week and two days after visiting the doctor, I decided to give it a try.

I changed into my winter running clothes, laced up my shoes ... and stretched. And stretched and stretched and stretched.

Rebel couldn't contain his excitement to get back to running. He ran from one end of the house to the other, spinning circles and jumping up and down. He finally sat still long enough for me to look his collar and leash to him, along with two flashing lights.

As I put on my reflective vest, I couldn't help but think that getting ready for this run was going to take a long longer than the actual run itself... kind of like when you're a little kid and spend an hour bundling up to play in the snow, then get bored and decide to come inside after only a few minutes.

The run started slow. It was dark, which made it difficult to navigate any obstacles (mailboxes, sticks, rocks, etc.). I admit that perhaps I'm a bit paranoid after my fall.

My leg ached a bit, but it was nothing like the shooting pains that I felt during my last run. I took advantage of Rebel's somewhat frequent bathroom stops and got in a few more stretches along the way.

About a mile out, I still felt fine. I was tempted to keep going, but decided not to push it. I did a little more than 2 miles, then came home to stretch some more and ice.

Sure is nice to be back.

REMEMBER, I'M DOING THIS FOR A GOOD CAUSE.

Have you donated to my fundraising campaign for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society? If not, please consider doing so. You can donate online at http://www.active.com/donate/tntma/Teresa. Please pass this link to everyone you know. Every dollar helps me get a little closer to the Disney 13.1!

TO POST A COMMENT, CLICK ON THE "# comments" LINK BELOW

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can post a comment here by selecting any of the options below. If you do not have a gmail account, choose "Other User" or "Anonymous." All fields are optional.