Friday, August 7, 2009

"Only" 10

All of this week and last, I've been mentally gearing up to run 16 miles on Sunday -- farther than I ever have.

I admit that adding two-plus miles onto last week's run seemed more than a little daunting.

I knew the marathoners-in-training on the current team were on schedule for 10 miles this week. I figured I'd run the extra six solo. Yep, an extra six on top of the 10 miles. Quite a task.

I was pleasantly surprised a few days ago when I was filling out and crossing off boxes on the training chart on my fridge. Sunday's box: 6 miles.

Six miles?

How could I possibly have misread that for weeks? I was sure that I had 16 scheduled for this week. Maybe I was just so anxious to move up in the mileage and get that farther-than-you-ever-run-before feeling.

I'll get there soon enough -- next week, actually.

For now, I'll add a few miles to my scheduled run and finish the 10-miler with the team. I've actually thought to myself and said aloud a few times that I'll be running "only 10 miles" on Sunday.

Only 10? It's funny to think how far I've come in just a short period of time. Not so long ago there was no such thing as "only" 10.

Seems like my sights are already set on next week's challenge: 16 miles. For real this time.


TO POST A COMMENT, CLICK ON THE "# comments" LINK BELOW


No comments:

Post a Comment

You can post a comment here by selecting any of the options below. If you do not have a gmail account, choose "Other User" or "Anonymous." All fields are optional.