Thursday, August 27, 2009

Prepare to Shift Gears

I bumped into Geno yesterday while meeting a friend for lunch. It made me realize a couple of things:

1) I hadn't been to Spin Class in a long, long time. But I can't bring myself to push the pedals inside when there's beautiful weather and scenery to experience. There's plenty of time for indoor training during the long, cold New Hampshire winter! I'll be sure to get back soon enough.

2) Sometimes I forget that people are following this blog and supporting my training from the sidelines. Geno mentioned he read about my 16-miler. ("Why does it always seem so hot when you run, he asked. I beginning to think now that I'm just a complainer!?)

Today I received an email from Geno commenting on the latest post on the challenging bike route in Bow. Mental challenges, he reminded me, will help me in the marathon. And he thanks TC for pushing me in that direction. Sometimes we certainly need to be pushed past what we think we can handle.

I'll close this post by quoting Geno's latest words of wisdom for a first-time marathoner:

The first 20-miles are powered by your engine. The last 6.2 are powered by your mind. Be prepared to shift gears as needed.

TO POST A COMMENT, CLICK ON THE "# comments" LINK BELOW

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can post a comment here by selecting any of the options below. If you do not have a gmail account, choose "Other User" or "Anonymous." All fields are optional.