Thursday, September 13, 2007

3 1/2 hours

I spent some time online today learning more about the Disney Half Marathon and Marathon programs. (You can learn more about the events by clicking on the link on the right-hand side of this page.)

It's not only about how far you can run; it's also about how fast you can run.

Runners are required to maintain a 16-minute-mile pace during the race and complete the half marathon in 3 1/2 hours. There are checkpoints along the way, and if runners aren't keeping up pace, they'll be picked up and driven to the finish line.

There is no way that I'm letting this happen.

Before reading this, I really had no idea how long it would take to run a half marathon.

At training, our pace is somewhere between 10 and 11 minutes per mile. Not fast, for sure, but steady. As we feel the positive effects of our training, our pace is picking up. But we all know that as our distance increases, our per-mile pace will also increase.

I have no idea what a 16-minute mile feels like. I know that a brisk walk is about a 15-minute mile. So in reality I have to maintain a brisk walk pace to stay in the race.

But, 3 1/2 hours of running?

There are few things, if anything, that I do for 3 1/2 hours without taking a break -- even non-physical activities like watching television or working at my desk. Sleeping, I think, is the only thing that comes to mind.

In exactly four months today, I'll be running for 3 1/2 hours straight -- hopefully less. Unbelievable.

REMEMBER, I'M DOING THIS FOR A GOOD CAUSE.
Have you donated to my fundraising campaign for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society? If not, please consider doing so. You can donate online at http://www.active.com/donate/tntma/Teresa. Please pass this link to everyone you know. Every dollar helps me get a little closer to the Disney 13.1!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can post a comment here by selecting any of the options below. If you do not have a gmail account, choose "Other User" or "Anonymous." All fields are optional.