Friday, January 29, 2010

Outside The Comfort Zone

It seems now as if running has always been a part of my life.

But just a couple of short years ago, I looked at someone in disbelief when they suggested I attend a Team In Training Info Night.

"You could run a half-marathon," she told me. And she said it with such conviction, like there wasn't a doubt in her mind.


Me? I don't run. There's no way that I could do 13.1 miles. And do it in a few short months? Never.

Of course, we all know how that turned out. I did, in fact, go from a non-runner to
someone who finished the Disney Half-Marathon. And then I did another. And another. And another. And then I did a marathon.

Running is surely part of who I am now - a part that helps me to live a healthy and happy life, a part that helps me focus, be alone with my thoughts when I need to and celebrate what I can do. Everyone should have something like that in their life.

Most importantly, it's a part of my life that I like to share with others.

Many people have told me I've motivated them, inspired them or impressed them along the way. It's always funny hearing that. I'm just me - nothing special. I don't do anything that anyone else can't do. I really believe that.

That's exactly what I told the group of new team members at Info Night for a new Manchester TNT team last night.

They, too, looked skeptical. I could tell some doubted they could run a half or full marathon, let alone train for it while raising thousands of dollars for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. But they can.

And they will.

I'm excited I made the decision to be a mentor for these new runners after taking a few months off from mentoring to concentrate on my own marathon training.

I'm perhaps even more excited that I decided to break away from my "old" team on the Seacoast and help re-start a Manchester team.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't an easy decision. I really like running with the Seacoast team. I've made some wonderful friends and our weekly runs are always full of laughs and stories. I have a sense of comfort there - I know the roads, the routine and the faces.

But sometimes stepping outside your comfort zone is exactly what I need. Just like I did when I attended that first Info Night, convinced myself I could do this and joined the team.

I'll be working with a new coach, on new roads, with new runners. And honestly, I can't wait.


TO POST A COMMENT, CLICK ON THE "# comments" LINK BELOW

1 comment:

  1. Way to pay it forward! I have no doubt you will inspire someone in your new group to eventually do the same thing. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete

You can post a comment here by selecting any of the options below. If you do not have a gmail account, choose "Other User" or "Anonymous." All fields are optional.