Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Shut Up and Get Up

I've never been a morning person. Ever.

I have a love-hate relationship with the person who invented the snooze alarm. I love snoozing. But why did anyone ever give me that option? If I knew the alarm would never go off again, I'd probably get out of bed the first time. (I'd have to, right?)

And lately, if it's possible, I've become worse.

I do all sorts of Snooze Alarm Math - made more challenging by the fact that I have my bedside clock set ahead of "real time" - in my head while in my groggy haze, figuring out to the minute just how much time I have left under the covers.

Two more snoozes = 18 minutes = shorter walk with dog. No problem, still plenty of time to get to work.


Yep, almost unconscious strategy to get 18 more minutes of sleep. And more if I come up with other ways to cut time of my morning routine.


Bring my breakfast to work = 1 more snooze? Finding something to wear that doesn't need to be ironed? Yep, could buy me another nine minutes.

The problem is, although I love the feeling of drifting back to sleep, I'm undoubtedly awoken by the beep-beep-beep of the alarm way too quickly. I mean, really, did I get a good sleep in nine extra minutes? I never wake up more rested than I did when the alarm went off for the first time.

If anything, it's the opposite.

In fact, on the days when I do get up and actually do something in the morning, I feel great. (I admit it's been a long time since that's happened.) Back when I was dedicated to morning runs (yes, there was a time I actually did all of my runs in the mornings), I felt more alert and productive during the day than any multiple-snooze day.

Why can't I remember that feeling in the morning when the alarm goes off?

And, as if I need more reasons to get out of bed, getting my morning run in takes the pressure away from having to squeeze it in after work. I might even, gasp, be able to eat dinner before 8 p.m. - imagine that!?

As I look as my schedule in the next upcoming weeks - with the evening hours getting filled up with various personal and work commitments, I might be forced to adopt a morning run routine. (TC might not like that news. Sorry!) I'm not willing to completely forgo my runs for the week.

I don't need to run every morning. Maybe I should start slow - one morning this week? Two if I'm feeling extra motivated?

I know, I know, I've said I was going to do this before. Now I just need to stop talking about it and do it. Just shut up and get up. (And maybe I need someone to ask me how I did.)


TO POST A COMMENT, CLICK ON THE "# comments" LINK BELOW

4 comments:

  1. As a friend of mine often says, "Just Don't Not Do It!". You'll be happy you did! Tell me which day and I will get up with you! Of course, I was already planning on early runs for the rest of the week, but hey, pretend I'm down the virtual street waiting for someone to run with! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snooze button is so pleasurable, but drags you down.

    At first, it was tough for me to get up before the sun. I'm enjoying it now because I've found ways to reduce the effort getting out the door.

    The best part is I'm faster before I eat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do this all the time. I've actually gotten to the point where I set my alarm for 6:30 and hit snooze twice every morning and get up at 6:50. You would think that I should just set my alarm for 6:50 but those extra 20 minutes feel so good because I feel like I'm stealing them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share your sentiments exactly! I love running or working out in the morning but that darn snooze alarm always convinces me to hit it "one more time." I think my bed is too comfy. That's what I blame it on.

    ReplyDelete

You can post a comment here by selecting any of the options below. If you do not have a gmail account, choose "Other User" or "Anonymous." All fields are optional.