Monday, December 21, 2009

On My Way To Denver

A couple of weeks ago, I posted some initial thoughts on my goals for 2010. I'd like to consider that a work-in-progress - because, still a week away from the New Year, I'm already ready to add to the list.

Over the weekend I tallied up my training miles since I started tracking things on July 1. Since then, I've logged 429 miles of running and 488 miles of biking. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself, especially considering it's only six months of tracking.

Those numbers prompted me to wonder what might be possible - and practical - for next year.

My first instinct was to shoot for 1,000 each of running and biking. Then I quickly remembered how much time and effort I put into training for my marathon - and still racked up less than 500 miles for the second half of the year.

It would be a stretch for me to reach 1,000 miles of running - without training for a marathon (which is not totally out of the question, by the way), but more importantly without giving up some of the many biking miles I plan on for next year.

It's not a trade-off I'm willing to accept.

On that note, I think a pretty decent increase in my bike miles can be expected. Remember, one of my goals is to ride a century. As TC pointed out, I'd accomplish one-tenth of my 1,000-mile goal in one day. Who knows how many training miles go into something like that. I estimate that I put in about 700 miles on my bike this year - my first bike season - without much effort or focus on bike miles.

I've decided a better approach is one that combines my efforts to focus on both running and biking next year.

In 2010, I will log 2,000 miles.

Yes, 2,000 miles. If I did them end-to-end in trip format (wouldn't that be fun!?), I could get from my New Hampshire home to Denver, Colorado. How cool to think about it in those terms!

It might turn out that the miles end up with a 1,000 run/1,000 bike split - unlikely, but still possible. I predict it will be some other combination of 2,000 miles, probably more bike than running because it's simply just easier to add up miles when you're putting in 20-30 at a time.

It will be fun and interesting to sit here at this time next year and see how it all shakes out.

I'm pretty confident, barring any unforeseen circumstances, that I'll accomplish what I set my mind to (I usually do, don't I?). Of course these things just don't happen by themselves. It will take some thought to put together a plan to achieve some of these goals. And the will to stick to the plan.

Details coming soon. In the meantime, I'll be open to comments, feedback and suggestions.

Wish me luck! Colorado, here I come... figuratively speaking, unfortunately.


TO POST A COMMENT, CLICK ON THE "# comments" LINK BELOW


No comments:

Post a Comment

You can post a comment here by selecting any of the options below. If you do not have a gmail account, choose "Other User" or "Anonymous." All fields are optional.